- 12 Dried Chipotle Morita Chiles
- Boiling water
- 1 medium white or yellow onion – thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves – peeled and smashed
- ½ cup cider or white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Adobo Seasoning
- Extra water if necessary
- Thoroughly wash the chipotle peppers and cover them with boiling water and weigh them down with a small lid or plate. Let them soak for 20 minutes. Remove stems.
- Remove the soaked chipotles, save the soaking liquid, and place them in a food processor or blender.
- Add about 1/2 cup soaking liquid or water. Blend until you have a uniform paste.
- In a large sauce pan, add the blended chipotles, onions, garlic, Adobo Seasoning and vinegar to the pan. Mix well. Add some more of the soaking liquid or water if the sauce seems too thick.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and allow the sauce to simmer for about 45 minutes. Add extra water as needed.
- Consistency should be paste like, not too thin.
- Cool sauce completely and store in refrigerator for up to a month. You can also freeze them in ice cube trays for future use.