- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 med yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Apple Pie Spice
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups low salt chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- In a large soup pot heat to medium and add oil.
- Saute onion until softened, about 5 mins.
- Add Apple Pie Spice and stir to combine.
- Add squash and apples, saute for 1 minute longer
- Add broth and bring to boil
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until squash is fork tender.
- Turn off heat and allow soup to cool slightly.
- Carefully transfer soup to a blender and puree. Work in batches so that blender is not more than 1/2 full and hold a towel over the lid to prevent the warm soup from spattering.
- Return soup to the soup pot and add the apple cider. Stir and heat through. Serve warm.